Lasik Surgery Errors

Recover Compensation for Lasik Surgery Error in New Jersey

Have a lawyer-doctor evaluate your medical malpractice claim

Laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis — known as Lasik surgery — is a voluntary operation intended to correct certain eye conditions and to improve vision. Many patients have praised the procedure for giving them 20/20 vision and a life without eyeglasses. Unfortunately, other patients have suffered permanent disabilities because of errors made during the surgery.

Seigel Law has helped injured patients of Ridgewood, Hackensack, Fair Lawn, Teaneck, Garfield, Fort Lee, Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth and Clifton since 1976. Our firm is devoted exclusively to personal injury and medical malpractice litigation. By devoting our entire practice to injury recovery, our attorneys are able to give you the focused attention you need to seek the best results possible in your case.

Lasik surgery complications

Approximately 95 percent of patients enjoy positive results from Lasik surgery. However, the other 5 percent must contend with serious problems that adversely impact their lives.

You have the right to recover compensation if your Lasik surgery errors produced such debilitating symptoms as:

  • Permanent vision loss that cannot be corrected with eyeglasses, contact lenses or other surgery
  • Under-correction, overcorrection or astigmatism because the laser was not accurately placed
  • Visual disturbances, including glare, halos or double vision
  • Problems with night vision or visual impairment in other low-contrast situations, including fog or dim lighting
  • Severe dry eyes that can cause discomfort and, eventually, tissue damage
  • Complications of the flap, such as infections and swelling
  • No real improvement in your vision and the need to continue using eyeglasses or contact lenses after surgery
  • Diminished vision with age

What your Lasik surgeon did wrong

Chances are you have seen advertisements for Lasik surgery. In fact, the popularity of the innovative technique has alarmingly commercialized the serious medical procedure. Many Lasik eye clinics have become eye surgery factories. Therefore, it is no wonder that sometimes negligence occurs.

Your doctor may have made a variety of common mistakes, including:

  • Failing to properly assess you for persistent dry eye or anatomical concerns
  • Performing surgery while you are pregnant, may become pregnant or are breastfeeding
  • Unnecessarily performing the surgery even though you have relatively good vision
  • Not advising you against surgery if you play contact sports or your career depends on your vision
  • Inaccurately placing the laser during surgery
  • Over- or under-correcting your vision

Receive the help you need after your Lasik surgery has gone wrong

Seigel Law is an experienced medical malpractice firm dedicated to assisting injured patients in northern New Jersey. Call our law firm at 201.444.4000 or contact us online to schedule your free first-time consultation with our lawyer-doctor. If your injuries prevent you from coming to our office, we schedule your appointment in your home or at the hospital. Through our contingency plan, you are not billed lawyer fees unless we recover damages on your claim.