- Email Barry Packin
Barry Packin has been practicing law for over 30 years, primarily litigating complex, difficult medical malpractice and product liability cases on behalf of patients/plaintiffs. He has litigated medical malpractice cases involving complex and difficult liability scenarios and disabling injuries and death. He has litigated product liability case involving tools, equipment and consumer products. He has secured substantial verdicts and settlements for his clients, many in excess of $1,000,000. Barry's case results have been featured in the New Jersey Law Journal and New Jersey Jury Verdict Review. Barry authored an article in the New Jersey Law Journal on an esoteric area of product liability law. He has lectured to various groups and has appeared on local and national television programs on legal issues. Barry served as a program panelist on issues relating to the admissibility of scientific evidence at the New Jersey Judicial College which is an annual education program for New Jersey judges. Barry served as a Master in the Arthur T. Vanderbilt Inn of Court, a program in which select, experienced attorneys provide education and hands-on training to young attorneys. Barry has been named as a Super Lawyer by New Jersey Monthly Magazine every year from 2005 to the present. Barry has sat as a Judge for Rutgers Law School trial and appellate moot court programs and as a Judge for high school mock trial competitions in Morris County. Barry has served as Chair of the Essex County Bar Association Joint Medical-Legal Committee and Chair of the Essex County Bar Association Speakers Bureau. He was admitted to the bar of the State of New Jersey in 1977, to the bar of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey in 1977, to the United States Court of Claims in 1990. He is an honors graduate of The George Washington University and Seton Hall University School of Law. Barry is a member of the American Bar Association, Essex County Bar Association, Morris County Bar Association and NJAJ. Barry was born on March 30, 1951 in Newark, New Jersey.
- $2.5 Million dollar settlement: Obstetrical malpractice case. Failure to properly monitor fetus during childbirth. Child born with cerebral palsy.
- $2.3 Million dollar settlement: Medical malpractice. Failure to timely diagnose neck injury Paralysis.
- $2.276 Million dollar verdict: Wrongful birth, obstetrical malpractice case. Failure to timely test pregnant woman. Child born with spina bifida.
- $2.0 Million dollar settlement: Anesthesia malpractice case. Failure to properly monitor patient. Severe hypoxic brain injury.
- $1.5 Million dollar settlement: Ophthalmologic malpractice case. Failure to properly sterilize instruments for cataract surgery. Infection resulting in loss of eye.
- $1.05 Million dollar settlement: Wrongful death, medical malpractice case. Improper prescribing of narcotic medications. Overdose with death.
- $1.0 Million dollar settlement: Pediatric malpractice case. Failure to properly manage child’s kidney function. Kidney failure.
- New Jersey Law Journal, Suter, Comparative Fault in Product Liability Cases
- Annual Joint Legal-Medical Dinner, Physician Assisted Dying and Withdrawal of Medical Care, Essex County Bar Association
- Judge's Role as Gatekeeper since Daubert, New Jersey Judicial College, 1997
- Wrongful Birth, ATLA-NJ Annual Convention
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, 2010
- Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- New Jersey Bar Association, Member
- Essex County Bar Association, Member
- Morris County Bar Association, Member
- MATLA-NJ, Member
- Essex County Bar Association, Chair, Joint Legal-Medical Committee
- The Arthur T. Vanderbilt American Inn of Court (Civil), Master (Two terms)
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Kenneth C. MacKenzie, J.S.C., Law Secretary