Let our lawyer-doctor guide your family through the legal process following obstetric mistakes
The happiness that generally accompanies the birth of a child can be suddenly overshadowed by feelings of sadness and fear if you or your baby is injured by a medical mistake. No amount of money can reverse the damage, but financial recovery can help you successfully meet the challenges you face.
Since 1976, Seigel Law has supported families who have experienced the painful consequences of an obstetric mistake. Our team represents women and babies who sustained injuries during any phase of pregnancy or delivery in our communities of Ridgewood, Hackensack, Fair Lawn, Teaneck, Garfield, Fort Lee, Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth and Clifton.
We know you have many questions about birth injuries and your right to recover damages. Our lawyer-doctor provide you with the focused attention and compassionate understanding you deserve during this difficult time. We give you straightforward advice that empowers you to make important decisions about your legal case.
Birth injuries to the mother
Childbirth is temporarily traumatic to a woman’s body. However, if pregnancy or delivery leaves a woman with permanent disabilities, it is time to ask why. Your ob-gyn may be responsible for devastating birth injuries caused by:
- Assisted delivery injuries — Assisted delivery refers to the use of obstetric tools and forceps to guide the baby through the birth canal. The procedure comes with substantial risks to the mother’s health. Forceps errors can cause fourth-degree vaginal tears, uterine rupture, pelvic organ prolapse, and urinary and fecal incontinence.
- Prenatal negligence — Substandard prenatal care affects both the mother and her baby. A woman who receives negligent care during her pregnancy risks infections, vitamin deficiencies, undiagnosed gestational diabetes and undiagnosed preeclampsia.
Injuries to newborns
An obstetric mistake can forever change the course of your child’s life. For example, your baby may experience problems in utero or during labor that result in:
- Cerebral palsy — Cerebral palsy results from brain damage and permanently affects a child’s muscle movements and reflexes. The congenital condition has been linked to interruption of the blood supply to the brain — cerebral asphyxia — during a prolonged delivery or because of fetal stroke.
- Erb’s palsy — Erb’s palsy is a type of brachial injury that can cause muscle weakness, loss of sensation and paralysis to the affected arm. The medical condition occurs when a doctor pulls the baby’s head and neck at an awkward angle through the birth canal, which causes the nerves to stretch or tear.
- Fetal distress — Obstetricians should be trained to recognize the symptoms of fetal distress — such as changes in fetal heart rate, lack of fetal movement, bleeding, cramping and high blood pressure. Failure to do so can result in serious injuries to the baby.
Hold your obstetrician responsible for injuries to mother or child
Seigel Law only practices PI and medical malpractice litigation. Call our law firm at 201.444.4000 or contact us online to schedule your free initial appointment with our lawyer-doctor at our Ridgewood, NJ firm. Our attorneys are available to visit you in your home or at the hospital if necessary. Because we handle your case on contingency, you do not owe us attorney fees unless we recover damages through a verdict or settlement.