Shopping Mall and Supermarket Injuries
Our firm has handled personal injury cases since 1976
When you walk into a shopping mall or a supermarket, you usually feel safe. This is partly because of the doctrine of premises liability, which imposes certain duties on property owners and possessors. Yet, these places can be filled with dangerous conditions that can result in serious injuries.
Seigel Law was established in 1976 to represent catastrophic injury victims in Ridgewood, Hackensack, Fair Lawn, Teaneck, Garfield, Fort Lee, Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth and Clifton. Our lawyers investigate the circumstances of your injuries and take action to hold negligent parties responsible for premises liability.
Grocery store accidents
With shelves piled with juicy fruits, slippery meats and jars of liquids, spills occur from time to time. However, the supermarket staff has a duty to inspect the premises periodically and to clean up just these types of hazardous messes before anybody slips and falls.
The timing is vital in these cases. If a spill occurred seconds before you slipped and fell, the supermarket would have a strong defense against liability. However, if the slick substance was present for a while, the grocery chain failed at its duty to its customers.
To determine how long the hazard existed, we inspect such aspects as:
- Color — Was the spilled substance brown and curdled, rather than bright and fresh?
- Spread — Did the liquid spread from the area of the initial spill?
- Tracks — Were there footprints, indicating several people walked through the hazard before it was cleaned up?
- Eyewitness accounts — Did other customers or the staff notice the danger prior to your fall?
Shopping mall accidents
Injuries at shopping malls often involve multiple negligent parties — including the individual storeowners and the landlords who own the building and parking lots. Our attorneys can assist you in recovering compensation for:
- Inadequate security measures — including guards, video cameras and appropriate lighting
- Blocked aisles and walkways
- Cracked or uneven sidewalks
- Slick surfaces or ice
- Snow accumulation
- Unmarked construction areas
- Unmaintained elevators and escalators
- Low railings on high floors
Preserve your injury claim against the negligent supermarket or shopping mall
Seigel Law is dedicated solely to personal injury litigation for clients located throughout northern New Jersey. Call us at 201-444-4000 or contact us online to schedule your complimentary initial consultation at our Ridgewood firm. Our lawyers can also schedule your appointment at your home or the hospital if your injuries prevent you from traveling to our office. Your claim is handled on a contingency basis — meaning you do not owe us attorney fees unless we obtain compensation for you.